What Are Your New Year Resolutions for Writing?
The brand new year of 2015 will soon be upon us, hopefully full of good fortune and health. It's also good time to set yourself some writing targets for the year ahead, this will help you stay motivated and give you something to strive for.
Of course we all wish to be a bestselling author, but no one is born that way. We all have to start off at the beginning which means starting off with realistic goals that should be achievable with hard work and dedication. Remember you should start with small goals and then if you achieve them early on, you can always set yourself some more.
To help you on your way, make sure your resolutions are SMART
SPECIFIC - Be clear on what your goals are
MEASUREABLE - Ensure that you can quantitatively measure your progress
ATTAINABLE - Start small with goals you're confident you can achieve
REALISTIC - Pick goals that are within your reach
TIME-RELATED - Give yourself a reasonable time limit. If you fancy it you could also set yourself 5 year goals as well as yearly goals, or even monthly goals.
Here are some following writing resolutions to help inspire you
- Write at least 3,000 words per month
- Practise your creative writing for at least half an hour a day
- Write a short story per month
- Enter at least one short story competition per month, and or enter a short story for magazine publication per month
- Read at least one book per month
- Write a rough first draft of your novel